Thursday, January 28, 2010

Round 4 - Synagis

Today, I had to take Matty in for his 4th round of Synagis shots this season. Since the poor guy has to go every 4 weeks, he definitely knows the routine. As soon as the nurse closed the door, he started to cry, and I mean hysterically cry. He cried when I placed him on the scale to be weighed. I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw his weight...he's now 21 lbs and 10 oz! This was a 1 lb 4 oz weight gain in just 4 short weeks. Hard to believe that he gained more in 4 weeks than he weighed at birth. We think that this stellar weight gain is due to the fact that he is walking now, which burns less calories than crawling does, and also that he has been drinking more whole milk as opposed to formula. Then, Matty and I hung out in the room (which was about the size of a small closet with no window) for over an hour! No joke. I even opened the door and started pacing around the hallway. Finally, the doctor arrived and he started to cry again. She showed me the infamous growth chart and he is SO CLOSE to the weight curve. This curve is for kids that were born full term in May'08, when Matty wasn't due until Sep'08. Not fair! But at least he is very close. The worst part is always holding his arms down while the nurse gives the shots. We are so happy with his weight gain! 1 lb 1 oz seems like such a long time ago!