Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Grandpa

My Grandpa passed away 10 years ago today.  As I write this, there are not enough words to express what an amazing person that he was, so I thought I'd just write a few thoughts about him.  He was always there for my brother, sister and I when we were kids...he attended all of our sporting events and was always so proud of us...he even wore a BVNW husky hat!  He would sit on the couch in our living room and listen to me practice the piano, even if I was just learning a new song.  He could fix anything...he always let my brother and I play with his tools at his wooden work bench.  He loved the KC Royals and the Missouri Tigers.  When Jeremy and I were building our first home, he would visit the construction site daily and give us updates since we were both at work or traveling.  He lost an eye as a child, but never let it slow him down...he drove a tank in WWII and was a very respected air traffic controller after that.  He loved his family more than anything.

10 years ago on August 7th, both my Grandpa and I were admitted to different hospitals.  I was very sick and at the time, no one told me that my Grandpa wasn't doing well.  I never got the chance to tell him goodbye, but I know that he was there in spirit and helped me get healthy again.  I miss him every day...he truly was the best grandpa, father, and husband.
My graduation from Mizzou.
My Grandpa's 80th birthday.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

That was beautiful, Alison... thank you for sharing your thoughts. Grandpa was indeed a very special man.